Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Que Sera, Sera

It always happens when you are away for a while.  Things have changed.  They happen without asking for our approval, or advice.  I wonder why we always wish things would go back to the way used to be.  That way was new and different once upon a time.  Change will happen whether we like it or not.  Better to learn to like it than to live wistully in the past, not able to appreciate the new and wonderful things that are in front of us.
The beach at my beloved villa is not the same as it once was.  Buildings have burned down, now just a shell of what they once were.  The road is blocked off and there is a new path to the beach.  It is a nice path, but not the one I used to walk upon.  I keep reminding myself that it is a nice path, and I appreciate the hard work that went into making it.  Each tile handlaid by someone's father or brother, or son.
The cuban masion that I was in love with has been seized by the FDA and is closed up and empty.  The big plasma tv at their pool bar is gone.  There will be no more pool parties there.  Now I am glad that I didn't live there.  Although I still wish I had been invited to one of thier parties.

Now it is time to make new memories here.  Naimah is very curious about her new surroundings.  There are sounds she has never heard before, new voices and humid temperatures.  For her, nothing has changed.  She was just a few months in the womb when we were last here.  Everything is new and exciting, as it should be.

No comments: